Today's date is September 4th, 2011. The most noteworthy event so far today? My starting this blog. Pretty sad isn't it? On the contrary, it actually is a wonderful development. See for the past 28 weeks or so I've been in a bit of a slump. Moments of extreme depression, anger, and basic rage. And before you even ask, no is had nothing to do with my monthly visits!
About two months ago I visited a GP here in England. Now let me explain this to those who are asking why I stated "GP" and not which 'type' of doctor instead. In England doctor offices' or 'surgerys' are led by General Physicians (GPs). You basically go to them with whatever ailment you have and based upon their rounded medical knowledge they either hand a prescription to you (which usually is over the counter anyways) or if need be they will refer you to a specialist. Now WHAT THE HECK! In New York if I had to see someone for let's say a heart issue I'd go to a cardiologist. Cancer fear? Oncologist. Bladder? Urologist and mental issues a psychologist/psychiatrist. I am not doubting any GP's knowledge nor am I stating that they are not incompetent either but if I have an issue I'd rather go to a doctor that specializes in that field. Who has narrowed everything they have learned to help that issue. Not someone who has to keep in mind a hundred different ailments and in the end says 'you'll be ok'!
Well back to my story. Two months ago I visited the GP and explained to him my feelings of distraught and despair and without much thought he basically attributed it to 'post-partum depression'. He said my hormones will balance out soon and I'll be fine again and sent me off. HUH! I didn't even get a 'happy pill'. How utterly disappointing! And if you think it was hard enough for me to explain this to a GP imagine how I felt explaining this to my husband. He seemed supportive but for some reason it was hard to explain it to him since he didn't seem to understand. Then I gave up on him and decided I'll ride it out on my own.
Though I guess the GP was right. I think my hormones have calmed down. My hair that fell out after my baby turned 3months up until a few weeks ago has started to grow back. And let me tell you, this was no small amount of post-partum hair loss. People actually thought I was losing hair! I didn't go bald but you can tell my hair was falling alot! Especially if you lived in our home and everywhere you'd go there would be traces of hair everywhere! I also started going to the gym and having those mummy lumps, tummy and muffin top slowly disappear has been great!
Now that I'm sort of getting my game back I have to make an effort to be that social firefly I use to be. Yes I've been here since March 2010 and no, I haven't been able to make any friends of my own but what do you expect from me?!?!? I was basically bed ridden from being ill throughout my pregnancy and my son, who is the love of my life, wasn't so easy to take out and about! I plan on using Netmums.com as a catalyst to help me find other mums in the area or if not just find places and areas I can take my son to that are safe and fun!
My husband should be back with my son soon from his grandmother's house soon actually. I guess I should straighten everything up a bit. Having a baby has made me so lazy! I'll rant about that another day :)
Have a great day everyone!
Do something exciting and remember, life is short so live it to the fullest!
No comments:
Post a Comment